|eggless chocolate banana cake|
In a place like India were vegetarianism is very prevalent, there is a lot of demand for eggless cakes. But egg being a primary ingredient in cake making its a very difficult ingredient to replace and still get satisfactory results. Due to the heavy demand for eggless cakes, I had to resort to buying ready made eggless concentrates for my cake shop Picardo's though personally I don't endorse these cake concentrates I had little choice for making eggless cakes. Finally after much experimentation I have come up with a perfect recipe for making eggless cakes which is up to my satisfaction.
This tea cake is very moist with a nice banana flavour. I have added cocoa powder in this recipe which gives it a very mild chocolaty flavour but primarily it helps me mask the soapy flavour of baking soda. It is recommended to bake this cake at least a day before you serve it, as this makes the cake easier to slice and most importantly it tastes better
For my blog I haven't added any icing but chocolate ganache will make an excellent icing for this cake.
INGREDIENTS (1kg )
160 gms of powder sugar
120 gms of pureed ripe banana.
60ml oil any unflavoured oil would do.
160 gms hot boiling water.
150 gms thick curd.
60 gms seeded and chopped dates.
1 tsp vanilla essence.
130 gms refined flour.
40 gms cocoa powder.
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
75 gms Walnuts
1 tsp mixed spice powder (optional)
- Grease a cake tin with butter and put a parchment paper so that the cake doesn't stick at the bottom.
- Now mix together curd, oil and banana puree in a large mixing bowl.
- Add powder sugar and mix well
- Separately sieve together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix the walnuts with the sieved flour this will ensure that the walnuts are coated with flour, this process prevents the nuts from sinking down in the batter.
- Fold flour mixture with the banana mixture.
- Bring dates and water to a boil and lastly fold this mixture in the cake batter.
- Put the cake batter in the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees for 30 minutes.