Thursday 3 October 2013

CARAMEL CUSTARD

I fondly remember this dessert as the first dish I ever tried making back when  I was a 12 year old kid. I guess I got the recipe from a magazine . I remember my brother Allwyn teasing me as Caramel girl  cause I would make this dessert for almost every occasion at home.

Having said that this dessert is the simplest and the quickest dessert to make, plus its a classic that will never fail to impress your guest.


 
Ingredients
500 ml Full fat milk
400 gms Sweetened Condensed Milk
03 No Eggs
3 Lemons (Zest)
150 gms sugar
1 tsp Vanilla extract.










In a bowl crack the eggs , add around 50 gms of sugar and zest around 3 lemons.  (I have taken lemon but orange zest also would go very well).











 Add the Condensed milk at this stage.













Stir the mix with a whisk.












I have heated the milk in a microwave for 1 and half minute but you may also heat the milk in a stove.





Pour the hot milk in the egg mixture keep stirring all the while, so the mixture does not curdle.











Now take a container which can easily fit inside a cooker, add the remaining sugar in it and keep it on a stove to caramelize the sugar.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Let the sugar caramelize till it gets a nice golden brown colour.  Off the flame now.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Now add the custard mix. Cover the bowl with a aluminium foil
.










In a pressure cooker put a glass full of water and then slowly lower the custard bowl. Cover it and cook till u hear two whistles. should take around 10 mins now off the flame, don't open the cooker lid let the custard cook in steam for 15 mins. Take it out from the cooker and after it cools down just demould it in a plate and let it chill. 






Slice it and serve it chilled



 


No comments:

Post a Comment